Tuesday, December 8, 2009

To begin

My head is brimming with ideas. Creative ideas, environmental ideas, cooking ideas, plain old wacky ideas...you get the picture, right? And somewhere along the way, I became overwhelmed by the urge to share some of these ideas. My friends and coworkers know this about me, already. But sometimes, they roll their eyes. And who can blame them? There are only so many times a person can listen to a facial masque recipe and give feedback. Know what I'm sayin'? Also, I've begun to hear this ongoing commentary, not unlike a blog post, in my head as I do things on a day to day basis. And that just isn't healthy.

So here I am.

One thing I'd like to institute right from the start is a *person/website*place*thing* feature at the end of every entry. There are so many cool things out there, and sometimes the only way to share them is via word of mouth. So I will try to help spread the word about really amazing things that people need to know about. If you have suggestions, please feel free to contact me!

And here goes...my first entry:

Website: Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade 
If you don't already know about and support this community of artisans, here's your chance to discover it! You can find everything from hand tooled leather belts, to incredible one of a kind artwork, to eco-friendly body care products, to gorgeous knitted bell caps, to exquisite handmade jewelry, all on one website. There's also a fantastic vintage section.


Place: Agriturismo Stazzi La China, Sardinia 
Sardinia is an island state that is part of Italy, but has a culture and people far older and more complex than that. The island has incredible archeological sites less than an hour's drive from virtually anywhere you stop, and these sites contain the remains of civilizations dating back to the Bronze Age. There are many incredible places to visit on this large island, but the one that captured my heart was an Agriturismo, or working farm/B&B, in the north. Owned by a woman from mainland Italy who wanted to start fresh and work with the land, this place has more heart and soul than all the other places I've stayed in my life, put together. Her parents worked on the farm with her, and together they provided incredible homemade bread, cheese, honey, Mirto (a myrtle berry liqueur native to the region), prosciutto, and by request, home cooked dinners to die for. Raj and I hope to return in the not too distant future.

Thing: Pangea Organics Red Mandarin Rose Lip Balm 
C'mon, I can't be the only one whose lips are horribly chapped right now, can I? This stuff is made of pure, organic goodness, and while the price tag isn't cheap, it will last forever, and your lips will thank you. Trust me. Very long lasting, not waxy, not overly perfumed. By the way, if your lips are chapped, avoid mint in your lip balms! It will only make your lips worse, as mint dries skin out.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment